** I’ve written a brief summary of my last 3 weeks, it’s a bit long but there are pictures at the bottom. If you don’t have time to read now, just scroll down so you can see them!
I can't believe I'm actually here! Yesterday marked exactly three weeks in
(The photo is of the little boy of one of the people who took a micro loan. I LOVE THIS PICTURE! It's my favorite photo thus far. I printed it out and hung it on my wall and I made it the wallpaper on one of the work computers. So far it's been there 3 weeks and no one's changed it :) I want to take this little guy back to the US with me. Don't think his parents would like that...)
My project is working with micro-loans. There are 100 current loans in Sonia Vihar. Each loan is Rs. 6000, $129 and is given to one family member. If a family wants Rs. 12,000 then the husband and wife will each take out a loan. My role is to go to each home and ask them questions about their family, their business and how they feel like things are going. Then I take pictures and at the end I will make a report about the 100 loans. This is a big help to the HOPE staff in Sonia Vihar because writing stories about 100 people, and putting the report together is very time consuming and the whole project is wrapping up at the end of August along with a number of other things so there is plenty to be done. Not to mention my English is better, and therefore I can write the stories more quickly.
It’s so much fun going to each person’s house because I get to see how they live, meet their family and hear about their life. It took two weeks and many interviews for Sahu and I (the translator) to get on the same page with what needed to happen because is English is very limited. We have a system now though and we have all the questions written in English and Hindi so it’s easy for him to know what I’m asking. He is a really nice guy, very easy going and peaceful. These are good qualities to have when working with a foreigner over a language barrier and with the people. Often he has to explain the questions and then by the time the questions are done the chai is ready or our “cool drinks” have come from a near by store and we must sit and chat while we drink them and sometimes eat little snacks. The people are so wonderful! I know that in many ways the experience I have is unrealistic. Indian people view foreigners, especially western ones with great respect and Jolly Topo, who I call mammy, said that her neighbors ask her “how do you know these foreigners?” It’s considered an honor to have us with her. Also, in Indian culture in general guests are highly respected and treated with special care. That being said, there are still deep prejudices and a strong cast system. There are different cast levels and below all of them are the untouchables. Many people would not even eat food made by an untouchable.
When I’m walking around Sonia Vihar or
As far as emotions and other things on a more personal level, the first few days were fine during the work day/when I was with people. It was the nights that were challenging. Once I was home alone I felt so sad and missed everyone. When my parents called I cried. But it got so much better and now I'm fine. Before I left, my dear friend Katey gave me a folder with pictures of friends and family she had printed out and put on pretty colored paper. She gave me tape too so I could put it on the wall in my room. :) I was so encouraged and I love having them there and it helped with those first few nights. By the end of the 1st week
I LOVE all the people in the hope office in Sonia Vihar and all the people in the slum are fantastic and there's something about the nasty
I think this time here is really good for me. Not only do I get to be in
I notice myself struggling with critical thoughts often but in weird ways. Some times I have compassion and sometimes I think "ew that guy is gross." I hope that makes sense. I've been praying to have a soft heart and hopefully it will change. I feel the longer I’m here, the more my heart is softening and I’m starting to have more compassion for all people. I am really looking forward to spending time at the leprosy home.
I get insecure sometimes because EVERYONE stares at me. First I'm white which is huge in itself, second, I’m tall. When I wear a Salwar Kamis (the loose fitting pant and long shirt thing) I get fewer stares so I wear that often. I bought 2 I can wear during the week, one other long shirt I wear with jeans and one other outfit. Not a huge variety but it’s a start and I’m in
I went to the orphanage one day and the kids were really cute but it makes me grateful that I'm working in Sonia Vihar. I am not cut out to be a teacher at all. I don't mind babysitting and I can handle a bit of time with the kids but I prefer older people and being able to do more thinking kind of work. I feel kinda bad about that, like I'm this super selfish jerk and that's why I don't love kids. I do like them, just in smaller doses... I dono, I'm sure my selfishness is a part, but I think also my talents are in other areas. I guess that's okay, but its something I'm insecure about.
It’s so hard to talk about the culture because I just dont really know where to start but it's very different but I love it so much.When people drive they don't follow any rules. Honking the horn is like a language and all the cars talk A LOT :). It's hot but not unbearable. I'm actually surprised by how well my body is handling it. We'll see how I do in the coming months. The food is soooooo good and I eat rice with pretty much every meal. My gluten allergy is actually pretty manageable because there is very little hidden gluten and many things are rice and some kind of stewed vegetable or something so I'm a happy camper. I’ve been here now for 3 weeks and have not craved western food. Last night though, Chelsea and I were talking about how we were getting a refrigerator from someone who was moving and then we’ll be able to have cold water, cold fruit and soymilk for cereal. I got really excited and wanted some then.
In the
Last week Chelsea and I went down to
Next we got on an overnight bus to go out to Chennai where one of our friends, Nick, was visiting his friend Rocky who moved to
We rested in our hotel for about an hour and then were picked up by a member of the HOPE staff. We joined two other volunteers from
We gathered our things from the hotel and paid our fee then Nick and Rocy came to meet us at the HOPE office. We rode out to the HOPE AIDs home with them and enjoyed a few hours of catching up. The orphans at the AIDs home outside Chennai are very different from those in Asharan. They are older for one which makes a HUGE difference, but also Rocky has worked with them tirelessly to create a family. There are about 45 children there between the ages of 5 and 18, both boys and girls. They are so loving and not in the intense pulling on you needy way of most orphans but more like outgoing loving children that want to play with you and show you their home. We had so much fun with them and loved that night and the next day.
After we put the kids to be the 2nd night we went outside the home walls with Nick and the other two guys who were volunteering there for the summer. The 5 of us walked through the land until we found a large rock the guys knew about. The moon was full and bright and high in the sky and we could see the stars and it had finally cooled down a bit (Chennai was SUPER hot and SUPER humid. I can honestly say that I have absolutely never sweated so much in my entire life). We sat on the big rock and prayed and sang a whole bunch of songs. It was so awesome and sounded really good! Chelsea and I switched of between alto and soprano depending on who knew the part, Nick sang the melody/tenor, John sang base and Nathan would sing tenor or make up some other sweet harmony. I’m positive God was encouraged and we sure were!
We loved our time at the AIDs home and to my surprise; I had no trouble playing with the kids for hours. From hide-and-seek to dodge-ball, piggy-back-rides, slow motion fights…I loved every minute of it! These children are amazing and almost all of them are HIV positive. Those who are not, their parents are. Rocky has literally become father and brother to all of them. They love him so much and hang on him, hug him, kiss him. It’s amazing. The depth of his love for them and how much he pours himself out is certainly both inspiring and convicting. Though he is at the HOPE home all day everyday, Rocky is not paid by HOPE but is a full time volunteer. He lives in a little hut in the village nearby and eats the food at the orphanage. He supports himself thorough donations and selling his photographs. Of the donations almost nothing goes to him because his needs are so small. If you’re interested in learning more about his work, the orphanage or want to see some of his incredible photography, check out the website atwww.they-can.com. Also, he teaches at the village school for both the home kids and the village children. He wants to teach them computer skills but the power is very unreliable so it’s hard to conduct a whole class with desk tops. If you have a laptop that will hold a charge and is not being used the children would be so grateful! Just go to the website and contact Rocky.
The morning after our prayer time was Sunday and before church at the HOME Rocky drove us to the bus stop. Chelsea and I took a bus to the airport and it dropped us off a bit far away so we had to figure out how to get there. We caught our plane, got a taxi, then an auto rickshaw and got ourselves all the way back home without any help. We were so proud.
When we were in the taxi it stopped at a gas station and the driver opened the door for us and motioned. I was very firm that this was a prepaid taxi and I was not going to give him more money for gas. I was really proud of myself for holding my ground. Then they got someone to translate and the person said “he just needs you to get out of the car so he can pump the gas.” We felt SO stupid and everyone in the area, our driver and the attendant were smiling at us and you could tell they were pretty amused. I guess in
Another funny happening was during my 2nd week. I have been drinking tons of water but because it’s so hot and you sweat a lot I was able to just go to the bathroom in the morning and then again when I got back from work. I really didn’t want to use the one at the office because I thought “I’m in a slum, who knows what it will look like.” Then one day I had to go so bad I decided to brave it and what did I find? Not only was the bathroom really clean, but it was a western toilet complete with toilet paper! Waaay better then what I have at home. I started laughing right there in the bathroom! It was so funny!
There have been so many situations like the ones above. Chelsea and I have both been having a great time and are learning a lot. We were amazed when we were in
I’ve been writing everyday. I brought a small 40 sheet notebook with me and the pages were about 4in by 6in and I filled up the entire thing, front and back with my tiny double line writing in the 1st two weeks. I purposely brought a small one so I could write in notebooks I bought here so I got another one when I finished the 1st one and I started it 11 days ago and have already written front and back on 17 pages. This one is a normal notebook size.
I tried to be brief but I typed this in word and it’s over 6 pages long in Times New Roman 12pt! Ekk! I hope everyone is doing well. I do miss everyone at home and can’t wait to hear how you’re doing. Please post a comment, write on facebook or send me an emaillianawild@gmail.com and let me know how you’re doing. I’ll stop writing now and will let you see the pictures. J


13 comments:
Looks like you're having a great time and some really cool experiences! Be safe and enjoy all of it! Hope to catch you online sometime soon! Much love
I love reading all about your adventures and reflections. What a incredible, unforgettable opportunity. The photos are so wonderful. The fabrics are so colorful and lovely! The garbage shot was intense. I remember when I lived in Panama and I was taking pictures of the slums. It looked so much cleaner in the photos than it really was!! plus you don't have the sounds and smells... I love you darling! thx for taking the time to write all of this! love, Mom
Hey Liana! Wow! You're blog is so amazing! I felt like I was there and I am wishing I was there with you. I am so happy for you. I was thinking about you and how anyone who gets the opportunity to have you as a friend is truly blessed. I have never met anyone who gives there whole heart in relationships as you do. I miss you a lot. I feel overjoyed when I hear about all the great things God is doing in your life and how he's working through you to help so many people. You are such a gem my friend. Life is good with me. I am graduating from De Anza next weekend(finally). I really want my nieces and nephews to be there so they can be inspired. I am still trying to figure out what career to pursue but I am sure God will guide me in his time. Oh and I sprained my knee so I have to wear a goofy looking knee brace for a month:( The good news is that it's getting better and not worse. I love all the pictures and you look so beautiful and full of life. I miss you much and I long to spend time with you. I hope that we can speak face to face very soon. I love you and I can't wait to read more of your adventures.
Tesha
So cool Liana....thanks for sharing your wonderful moments thru your eyes and heart. very special. and it is obvious that the people there are enjoying you as much as you are them. Keeping having a blast...and wow, Chelsea cut off looooottttts of hair :)
Dear Liana, It's was interesting reading your experiences in India. These are lessions learned that you will not get from class or books and rememberence of this trip will last a life time. The differences of culture is challenging but the peope are loving as we are here. I don't think I want to drive my VTA bus there, traffic sounds scarry. Continue your travels and I can't wait to see and tell me more that you learned. Love, Bob
Wow Liana,
Looks like you are having an incredible adventure...keep posting and we will keep reading!
Hello Liana,
Your Mom just shared your blog, wow I had no idea you were on such an amazing adventure. I really enjoyed reading about your life in India, the people , the customs , the food, I felt like I was there. I look forward to following along with you as you enjoy your work and time in India.
Be safe, Dale Dubowy
Hi Liana,
Your writing is so enjoyable. Even though I have lived in India for 25 years, I have not experienced the adventure you have because we have hardly had any interaction with people in rural areas. It just shows that India is so much divided in terms of living standards and I think the gap is increasing more and more. But I love reading your blog and I hope to keep following it along. I am amazed by how well you have adjusted to such a different lifestyle. Keep it going! Even if things get difficult for you at times, you are going to cherish every moment you spend there. I think you know that better than I! Have fun!
Hi Lianna,
Who would have imagined that "Goalie" from Lynbrook would be in the blazing heat of an Indian summer getting this unique experience! I am so glad that it is such a self actualizing step in your education.
Travel safe!
Mitali Biswas ( Konina's mom)
Wow...great read! Thanks so much for blogging. I'm really happy for you that you have this opportunity, and very proud that you're doing it with such a great heart. Looking forward to reading part 2!
We've never met but I know your mom and dad from before they were married. My family and I went on the 1st mission team to India back in 1986. Things were different then. It was fun reading your blog (your mom sent me a link) and reading about your experiences. I'm sure your time in India has changed your life. We lived in Bombay with our 2 young boys. A few other Americans came with us. Wow! What an experience that was. We loved it, though. Again, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm always glad when young people get to go to a place like India. --Donna Blough
Hi liana,
I really like your adventurous experience of india. Cool. Keep it up. I also love adventures, so what is the way to become your assistant.. ha ha.. Yeah liana, i m interested to join u.
my e-mail id kunalrawat82@gmail.com
Please reply
Post a Comment