My first day I had the grand tour. This office in Luzern is located in a hotel right along the water. My first flat (an apartment but everyone here calls it a “flat”. I’ll be at this one for 3 weeks then I move into a small house for 5 weeks. I’m renting them while the owners are on vacation or “Holiday”), is located about 2 streets over, a whole 3 minutes walk from the office. To get to work we walk through the hotel and take a private elevator up to the EF zone. It makes me feel like I’m part of a secret society. The Cultural Care staff in Luzern is only 8 people, 9 with me, and there is one other girl who comes in 1.5 days a week to help enter apps, but there are about 200 EF people here total.
The first day after learning how to enter apps and do a few other things one of the girls took me to lunch. I had älplermagrone with apfelmus which is essentially Swiss Mac ‘n Cheese but it’s made with white Swiss cheeses not cheddar and you usually get it with apple sauce which you spoon over it. Surprisingly the apple sauce is a nice touch, especially at the beginning when it helps to cool it down so you can eat it. I didn’t end up leaving the first day until 6:45 or so because I didn’t yet know we’re done at 17:30 and I wanted to check some email. Everything here closes at 18:30 so I just went home. I think that night was the most difficult because after meeting tons of new people I had to go home to an empty house and still was not used to living alone. Since then it’s been better and better.
Tuesday and Wednesday were just work days, a trip to Migros, the supermarket, much like those in the US but it’s 3 stories I think. I bought butter, which I found to be sweeter and creamier than that in the US. I had my first Skype chat with my family 7:45am my time 10:45pm their time. I also got to go for my first jog along the lake. It was early in the morning and was breathtakingly beautiful. I just had to make sure I blew out my nose and closed my mouth when I jogged through the clouds of bugs.
Tuesday night was really fun because the president of Cultural Care was in town so he took us all out to dinner. He is a very charismatic man and loved by everyone in EF. He’s Swedish but has raised his family in the US. He was a diplomat before coming to EF so he’s used to the travel, good thing because he travels 3 weeks of every month. He’s the one who offered me this internship when I was at the National meeting in Germany with Mom in November. By the way, for dessert we had strawberries mixed with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, raspberry liquor and guess what… fresh ground black pepper! Yes. As it turns out, fresh ground black pepper is a nice addition of many fresh fruits (grapes, melons, strawberries…) so you’ll have to try it.
Thursday was far more exciting. I didn’t have work because it was a Catholic holiday, Corpus Christi. The bells of the church tower next to my flat woke me at 7 am on my day off. At first I thought it was so cute, when they were still going at 7:20 they had lost their cuteness.
I went into work to do email and have lunch with those who were working, which ended up being most of the EF staff (they can trade the holiday and get a long weekend later). I had my first Panini ever and was pleased, then went with a coworker to meet friends at, I’m ashamed to say, starbucks.
Later my Danish friend from Church met me for dinner. It was very encouraging to be able to talk with her about how things had been going and how I felt.
Sunday got up early to go for a jog and it was the most beautiful day yet. The rain had totally cleared the area around the mountains and you could see everything.
So, it appears I’ve survived my first week in Luzern. Definitely full of many ups and downs but I feel I’m growing up a lot, which is not always fun but seems to be necessary. I promise no more play-by-plays of the week, I’ll be more brief about the day to day and save some room to describe the places I go. I just want you all to be able to experience things with me. Anyway, as always, I send you my love. You are all on my heart, and in my mind and prayers!
~Wildy
1 comment:
I'm so glad you're having such a great time! Many of your pictures of the water look very familiar. Make sure you get to see Matterhorn and Pilatus. Breath-taking mountains. I wish I could be there with you! =[ My favorite experience was Aug 1, which is Swiss national day and sure to be great fun. We spent it in Engleberg which was nice because it was a small city (which you should also visit if you have a couple hours...too cute) but it's such a huge holiday, I'm sure you will have many opportunities. I will definitely keep you in my prayers!! Love you! Miss you!
Post a Comment